“Energy Efficient, Sustainable Detroit,” is the latest in a series of U.S. Department of Commerce sponsored Sustainable Manufacturing American Regional Tours (SMARTs). This free event, to be held December 9, 2010, in Detroit, MI, is designed to A) connect Detroit manufacturers to the federal government’s E3 (Economy, Energy, Environment) Initiative, a multi-agency effort aimed at helping U.S. manufacturers and utilities become more energy efficient, sustainable and competitive and B) showcase Detroit-area industrial energy efficiency and sustainability successes through company presentations and manufacturing facility tours.
Attendees will hear from Detroit-area companies about the successful planning, financing, and implementation of energy efficiency and sustainability enhancement projects. They will also hear from state government representatives on the various technical assistance and financial resources Detroit-area companies can leverage to implement such projects. DTE Energy will host the morning presentation session, which will be followed by two manufacturing facility tours in the Detroit area.
Event Location: DTE Energy, One Energy Plaza, Detroit, MI 48226
There is no cost for attending this event. A continental breakfast, lunch and transportation to and from the facility tours will be provided. Plant managers, environmental managers, energy managers and other company decision makers are encouraged to attend.
“Energy Efficiency, Sustainable Detroit” – Agenda
- 8:30 a.m. Registration at DTE Energy
- 9: 00 a.m. Open remarks from Steve Kurmas, President & CEO, DTE Energy
- 9:10 a.m. Remarks from Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Manufacturing & Services Mary Saunders
- 9:20 a.m. Remarks from U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow
- 9:30 a.m. Panel 1 Successes and Challenges in Industrial Energy Efficiency and Sustainability
- Tom Murray, Chief, Prevention Analysis Branch, Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, U.S. EPA – Panel Moderator
- Gerald Polk, Manager, Energy Partnership, DTE Energy
- Kathleen Laird, President, Goodwill’s Green Works, Inc.
- Bob Lubitz, Plant Manager, Bridgewater Interiors, LLC
- 10:15 a.m. Coffee Break
- 10:30 a.m. Panel 2 Federal & State Resources That Support Energy Efficiency & Sustainability
- Dr. Arvind Artreya, Director, Michigan Industrial Energy Center (MIEC) Panel Moderator
- Russ Carpenter, Program Director, Michigan Manufacturing Technology Center (MMTC)
- Laura Rauwerda, Michigan Department of Natural Resources & the Environment (DNRE)
- Robert Jackson, Michigan Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth (DELEG)
- 11: 15 a.m. Open Dialogue with Industry on Sustainable Manufacturing Challenges
- Noon Travel to Goodwill’s Green Works, Inc.
- 12: 30 p.m. Lunch at Green Works, Inc.
- 1: 30 p.m. Tour of Green Works, Inc.
- 2: 15 p.m. Travel to Bridgewater Interiors, LLC
- 2: 45 p.m. Tour of Bridgewater Interiors, LLC
- 3: 30 p.m. Closing Remarks & Return to DTE Energy
Due to space limitations, registration is limited to one representative per organization. Any questions/comments can be sent to email@example.com.