State’s largest Earth Day celebration offers family-friendly activities & events April 21-23
Along with the greening landscape, a sure sign of spring in Southeast Michigan is MI Earth Day Fest, the weekend-long Earth Day celebration that draws tens of thousands to downtown Rochester annually. Taking place Friday, April 21 through Sunday, April 23, this year’s event moves from its former park location to a larger, easily accessible lot at Third and Water streets, across from the fire station.
Now in its 12th year, MI Earth Day Fest offers plenty of fun and free ways to shop, learn and celebrate the planet.
“We’re kicking off the festival season with a great lineup of exhibits and family activities, along with speakers and entertainment all weekend long,” says event manager John Batdorf of MI Green Team.
“Our larger location means even more to see and do this year, including much larger community networking and drive-up recycling areas.”
With more than 30,000 expected, MI Earth Day Fest is one of the planet’s biggest Earth Day celebrations. Featuring more than 100 displays and presentations as well as live music, awards, recycling drop-off, food and family fun, the event aims to highlight environmental and wellness issues and solutions through education, innovative products and services, and community building.
All events are free and open to the public. Highlights include:
– MI Green Hall of Fame Awards Friday, April 21 at 7 pm;
– Parade and pep rally Saturday, April 22 at 10 am;
– RARA Earth Day 5K Fun Run Sunday, April 23 at 8 am;
– Presentations on bionutrient gardening, climate change, renewable energy, sleep deprivation, harnessing personal power and more;
– Eco-friendly and wellness exhibitors;
– Live music presented by Kincer Vocal Coaching featuring Lia K. Catallo, Ken McCauley Band, Steve Taylor, Pistons Performing Arts Center dancers, School of Rock and others;
– Drive up/drop off recycling service along Third St., between Second and Water streets;
– Food, kids’ activities, door prizes and more throughout the weekend.
The MI Earth Day Fest runs from 4-8 pm Friday, 10 am-6 pm Saturday and 10 am-4 pm Sunday. Sponsors and media partners include DTE Energy, Emagine Entertainment, Lolë Rochester, SMART Bus, Whole Foods Market, MacKellar Associates, Fox 2 Detroit, 100.3 WNIC, WWJ Newsradio 950, CMNtv and GreeningDetroit.com.
For directions, schedules, lists of participants and the latest updates, visit www.miEDF.com.