The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) issued citations to AJM Packaging in Southgate for alleged violations of serious hazards to worker safety totaling $248,750 in penalties. MIOSHA is part of the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
MIOSHA’s General Industry Safety and Health Division conducted two inspections of the company at 11800 Reek Road, Southgate, MI 48195.
As a result of the inspections, a total of nine serious, one willful serious, six failure-to-abate, one repeat-serious, and five other-than-serious citations were issued for the following violations:
· Abrasive Wheels Part 1A
· Floor and Wall Openings, Stairs and Skylights Part 2
· Power Transmission Part 7
· Welding and Cutting Part 12
· Conveyors Part 14
· Powered Industrial Trucks Part 21
· Personal Protective Equipment Part 33
· Design Safety Standard for Electrical Systems Part 39
· Spray Finishing using Flammable and Combustible Materials Part 76
· Control of Hazardous Energy Part 85
AJM Packaging is part of the Severe Violator Enforcement Program (SVEP). If an employer demonstrates indifference to their obligations under the MIOSH Act by committing willful, repeat or failure-to-abate violations, they qualify for the SVEP.
The company has 15 working days from receipt of the citations to comply or contest the violations and penalties.