The City of Birmigham seeks to incorporate sustainable practices into operations through collaborative efforts among city departments. There are a number of efforts currently under way and/or being studied by staff for use such as:
- participating in mult-juridictional efforts to study use of biodiesel in municipal vehicles
- use of timed – programmable thermostats to control temperature based on scheduled use – season – and time of day
- installation of motion detection equipment to limit lighting when building – hallways and rooms are empty
- purchasing recycled goods
- incorporation of LEED standards and best practices into Triangle District Master Plan
These are just a few of the City of Birmingham’s green initiatives.