The Ecology Center is a membership-based, non-profit environmental organization based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Founded by community activists after the country’s first Earth Day in 1970. The Ecology Center is now a regional leader that works for a safe and healthy environment where people live, work, and play.
The Ecology Center is a Michigan based non-profit environmental organization that works at the local, state and national levels for clean production, healthy communities, environmental justice and a sustainable future.
What We Do
The Ecology Center works for a just and healthy environment through grassroots organizing, advocacy, education, and demonstration projects. Today, our major programs are:
- Environmental Education, a program reaching 10,000 K-12 students and teachers in southeast Michigan every year.
- Environmental Health Project, working to protect our health from toxic chemicals in food, air, water, and household products.
- HealthyStuff.org, researching consumer product chemical hazards to promote chemical policy reform.
- Land Use, preserving farmland and natural areas, concentrate development where infrastructure exists, and reduce traffic congestion.
- Recycle Ann Arbor, a wholly-owned nonprofit subsidiary of the Ecology Centeroffering a variety of recycling and reuse services for households, businesses, and municipalities.