Posted on: Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 at 3:22 pm
The City of Farmington Hills is hosting EcoFest 2012 on Saturday, June 16 from 12 to 3 p.m. at the City Hall campus, located at 31555 Eleven Mile Road. The free “eco-friendly” event will feature family fun including an urban nature hike, a reptile show, and craft projects, plus displays and information on environmental awareness, sustainability, and energy efficiency.
EcoFest 2012 will showcase technologies such as solar panels, geothermal heating, and LED lighting, which can all be used by residents to save money and energy. Self-guided tours of City Hall will showcase how these innovative technologies were used in the recent building renovation.
Highlights of EcoFest 2012 will include:
- Free white pine seedlings for the first 250 participants courtesy of DTE
- Plug-in Electric Vehicles from Ford, GM, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Toyota, and Fisker of Detroit
- DTE interactive residential lighting display
- Native plant sale from Friends of the Rouge
- Rain garden and composting tips from SOCWA
- Recycled craft projects from Peace, Love & Planet and the Recycling Authority
- Information on Consumers Energy and DTE Energy rebate programs
- Home Energy Audits by Ecotelligent Homes
In addition, EcoFest will include an on-site Rain Barrel sale sponsored by the Alliance of Rouge Communities (ARC). Rain barrels with a 60-gallon capacity will be available for $65 ($99 retail value). To pre-order online for pickup at EcoFest, go to www.allianceofrougecommunities.com and enter the promo code “community.” Pre-orders must be picked up between 12 – 3 p.m. on June 16.
Refreshments will be available for a fee. For more information about EcoFest 2012, go to www.fhgov.com or call 248-871-2507.
Source: City of Farmington Hills