U.S. Green Building Council – Detroit Regional Chapter, Green School Committee announces: My Green School Art Contest to help promote the Green School Lunchbox program, where we are inviting students to help demonstrate a green school through art work.
Who can enter: Any child in a Michigan School, Grades K-5.
Semi-Finalists: 3 semi-finalists from each grade, K-5, will be invited to a luncheon sponsored by ecoSTORE USA for a final judging and awarded a participation certificate.
Top Finalists: First place winners from each grade will be honored at the Green Living Festival Charity Preview, Thursday, May 12, 2011. Artwork displayed at the Green Living Festival, Rochester, MI, May 13-15, 2011. Artwork displayed at the ecoSTORE USA headquarters, Auburn Hills, MI. Will receive Goobyn lunchbox and bobble water bottle.
Judged by:Margaret Matta, AIA LEED AP BD+C, Chair of USGBV-DRC Green Schools Committee, Daniel Cascardo, prominent local artist, and Brenda Pescia, retired elementary art teacher.
- Artwork: Create a picture to show what makes your school green, or how your school could be green. Use paper or card stock, up to size 12 x 18. Any medium can be used: paint, crayons, pencil, collage, photos, stencils, etc. We encourage the use of recycled paper. Please no glitter or copyright trademark images. For judging purposed, do not include the student’s name or use the name of the school in the artwork. Do not include matting or framing with submission.
- Judging Criteria: Concept: does it communicate the theme or message? Creativity: is the art original or unique? Quality: is there effective use of materials?
- Deadline & Submission: Submissions by email or mail. Online submissions are due Earth Day, April 22, 2011, 3:00 p.m. EDT, email or a photo of artwork to: MyGreenSchoolArt@drc-usgbc.org or mail us Mail entry postmarked by Aprl 20, 2011 to: My Green School Art Contest – USGBC-DRC, 26913 Northwestern Highway, Ste. 200, Southfield, MI 48033. All artwork submission must be accompanied by the provided application.
- Final Judging: The top 18 submitted entries will be asked to mail the original artwork for final judging. Judge’s decisions are final.
- Questions?Contact Connie Lilley at 248-830-0476 or email@example.com
- Suggested Resources: www.centerforgreenschools.org/why-green-schools.aspx, www.dteenergy.com/kids/, Green School In A Lunchbox info: http://drc-usgbc.org/comittees/green-schools-advocacy.html
Source: City of Detroit, Ms. Roshani Dantas, Policy Analyst/Green Initiatives, Green Task Force