It appears that more and more universities in and around Detroit are recognizing the need for a more sustainable tomorrow. Many colleges in the area are beginning to have an increasing number of programs to teach students about the importance of things like simply going “green.” One of those schools is the University of Detroit Mercy (UDM).
UDM, a Catholic university in the Jesuit and Mercy traditions, has begun to offer a couple of programs to instruct graduate students on sustainability. They are:
Advanced Electric Vehicles (AEV) Graduate Certificate Program
- This program is part of UDM’s College of Engineering and Science, and it was designed to educate and retrain automotive engineers.
- The AEV Program equips those engineers with the skills and expertise they need to develop the next generation of advanced electric and hybrid vehicles.
- Because electric vehicles are increasing in popularity, this program helps students to be not only marketable and knowledgeable in the field but also environmentally aware.
Community Development Program
- UDM’s Community Development Program was created as a unique approach to the theory and practice of building sustainable communities.
- The Master of Community Development (MCD), which is housed in the school of Architecture, is interdisciplinary, and it integrates organizational, physical and economic development into its curriculum.
- Graduates of the program become leaders in Community Development and are recognized as experts of sustainable development.
Gloria Albrecht, the co-director of MCD, believes having programs like these available to students is crucial, particularly for the school’s location. “I think this program is important because UDM sits in a city that has become the symbol of the negative impact that a variety of structural economic changes are having on US communities everywhere,” she said.
For more information on these two programs, please visit the UDM page of our site: https://www.greeningdetroit.com/community/education/university-of-detroit-mercy/
Jennifer Griffin, Contributing Writer and Public Relations, GreeningDetroit.com
Jennifer is pursuing a degree in Journalism and English from Wayne State University, and she is also a Contributing Writer for The South End.