Danish explorers Nina Rasmussen and Hjalte (pronounced Yelta) Tin started in Denmark on June 25, 2010 they will cross Scandinavia, Estonia, Russia, Mongolia, China, USA, Canada, Spain, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Britain and Germany before returning to Denmark on May 1, 2011.
The cars are Qashqai Electric developed and produced by AfutureEV in Denmark. The cars are 100% electric. The Moto Mundo World Electric Tour will be the ultimate test of electric car range, durability and performance. The World Electric Tour will encounter extreme conditions from endless Siberian highways, Gobi-desert heat, wild traffic in China and freezing US winter. Highlights of the tour will be joining the EXPO 2010 in Shanghai, the Motor Show in Detroit and competing in the Monte Carlo Rally for electric cars.
You can follow their progress at: http://motomundo.vikingegaarden.com/index.php?id=2000 make sure the ‘auto location’ is checked. You will notice they are often staying in motels. They have found that charging is most convenient for them if they find a motel with a ground floor room and get permission to unplug the air conditioner and use the socket for their charger (so the infrastructure IS there!) http://www.moto-mundo.com/
Here are some stories written about them while they were in Detroit:
- Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/article/20110112/BUSINESS01/101120373/-1/BLOG14/x26template/x3drss/x26mime/x3dxml/Around-world-in-11-months-for-Danish-Moto-Mundo-duo
- WOMC Radio: http://womc.radio.com/tag/moto-mundo/
- SATnews Daily: http://www.satnews.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi?number=1714272154
- AutoBlog Green: http://green.autoblog.com/2010/12/21/moto-mundos-nissan-qashqai-electric-detroit-auto-show/
- NextCars.net: http://www.nextcars.net/moto-mundos-nissan-qashqai-electric-travels-around-the-world-to-visit-detroit-auto-show/
- Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/23/moto-mundo-world-tour-pushes-all-electric-nissan-qashqai-to-its/
Source: Michigan Electric Auto Association