As part of the continuing effort to efficiently utilize resources in Michigan, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) today recognized 5 organizations for outstanding success in promoting recycling and finding new uses for recycled materials.
The organizations received the Excellence in Recycling awards at the third annual Governor’s Recycling Summit, held today in East Lansing. The MDEQ hosted the summit in collaboration with the Michigan Recycling Coalition’s 35th annual conference. Hundreds of public and private professionals joined to discuss key topics to grow recycling and reduce wastes in Michigan.
The businesses, institutions, government agencies and nonprofits honored focused their efforts in two key areas: promoting outstanding education programs, and creating new and enhanced programs that increase access to recycling. The honorees are:
Outstanding Education Awards
- GenesisHOPE for providing outreach and education through the GREENCorps program internships for elementary and middle school youth in Detroit.
- Resource Recovery and Recycling Authority of Southwest Oakland County for providing education to residents of numerous Southeast Michigan communities through an advanced recycling directory web tool and mobile application.
- The St. Clair County Earth Fair for event recycling outreach and education provided each year to the approximately 13,000 attendees.
New or Enhanced Recycling Program Award
- The City of Grand Rapids for the launch of the SORT (Sort Out Recycling and Trash) project to educate and collect recyclables at major events in the City.
- Consumers Energy for their commitment to recycling and waste reduction through the establishment of green teams who organize activities and engage employees, through their stated landfill avoidance goals, and through expanded appliance recycling access.
To learn more about recycling opportunities in Michigan or to see Michigan’s plan for increasing recycling, visit www.michigan.gov/mirecycles.
Click Here to be introduced to the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality