Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson and Rochester Hills resident and philanthropist Rick Frazier will present five charities that help veterans and children each with a $10,000 check on Oct 5, 2017, 1:30 PM. Frazier contacted Patterson in August to ask him to identify five charities to share $50,000. Patterson developed the list of recipients after consulting with staff.
• Fisher House Michigan in Ann Arbor, a comfort home where veterans’ families can stay at no cost while a loved one is receiving treatment
• Great Lakes National Cemetery Advisory Council in Holly, which supports volunteer veterans service organization units that provide the rifle volleys in support of the Department of Defense funeral honors team
• Oakland County Veterans’ Services in Pontiac and Troy, whose veterans benefits counselors assist the county’s 70,000+ veterans and their families in filing claims and help veterans get to their VA appointments
• The Rainbow Connection in Rochester, whose mission is to make dreams come true for Michigan children with life-threatening illnesses
• Yellow Ribbon Fund Inc., which provides practical support to injured service members and their families